The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Reg Keeland, Stieg Larsson Another book that could have used a good editing. Works well as a mystery novel but gets far more praise than it deserves. It is a fantastic mystery, actually, and I couldn't put it down. However, I more than once found myself rolling my eyes at the cartoonish characters. Sure, that's a staple of mysteries, but Lisbeth Salander - man alive, is she a walking cliche. She actively annoyed me, and I found her morality not only despicable but logically faulty on more than one occasion (it's been a while since I finished the book, so examples are escaping me, unfortunately - I'll come back and add them if I ever feel compelled to). I just didn't click with her at all, and in parts she just felt like an easy way out of any problem because she was such a "genius". Too much was left in that could have been removed. Overall, the book was just a means of passing the time, and not something I feel compelled to write an essay about. However, it trundles along nicely, and the end was pretty decent. It's much better than its sequel, and I'd give it 3.5 stars - if I could.

PS. Avoid at ALL costs if you're squeamish, easily triggered by sexual violence, or looking for something uplifting. It's not a difficult read, but it is a bit depressing in parts.